[Asterisk-Users] Switch brands, speeds, etc.

Bob Klepfer bob at photon-x.com
Fri Feb 13 13:32:02 MST 2004

The short of it:
----------------
In light of the recent Netgear posts, I'm just curious if anyone has
preferences for brands of switches - we're wiring a parallel network of
10BaseT over existing cat3 for the IP phones in our office space.

The long of it:
---------------
Our setup:

* Office of <10 people spread out in 2000-3000 sq.ft.
* Space previously used as computer learning center,
    chock full of cat-3 and multiple rj-45 jacks
    per wall plate.
* We're rewiring anyway - company growth + lack of planning
    has led to switches and hubs strung everywhere
* I've convinced the boss to let me implement an asterisk
    server, replacing the unholy phone concoction we have now
* No external VOIP....at least not yet.
* MUCH data flying back and forth from computers in labs
    to offices and vice versa

So we were thinking of using some of the existing cat3 for just the IP
phones and stringing some cat5e alongside for intranet.  Buy a cheap
10BaseT switch (SmallDog has a refurbished Asante 5324 24-port cheap)
for the cat3 lines and feed that to our * server's eth1.

We're geeks, but not really networking geeks, so I thought I'd ask the
list populace at large if they had comments/recommendations.

Best,
Bob Klepfer
Photon-X, Inc.