[Asterisk-Users] festival voices

Tony Buser gr0k at juju.org
Thu Feb 12 09:31:24 MST 2004

Hi, I'm new to both asterisk and festival.  I'm trying to figure out how
to change the voice festival uses.  For example, I've downloaded
don_diphone to festival/lib/voices/english.  I then edited
/etc/asterisk/festival.conf and changed the festival command to:

festivalcommand=(voice_don_diphone)(tts_textasterisk "%s" 'file)(quit)\n

Started up festival_server, then started up asterisk, call the extension
and it fails to speak with the following message on the console:

 == Parsing '/etc/asterisk/festival.conf':   == Parsing
'/etc/asterisk/festival.conf': Found
Feb 12 11:27:40 WARNING[409626]: app_festival.c:434 festival_exec:
Festival returned LP : don_diphone

I'm thinking its because when you change the voice in festival it
returns the name of the new voice which may be confusing asterisk
because it's expecting something else?

Also, if anyone else out there is using festival, whats the best most
natural sounding voice?  So far the best I've found were from here:
http://hts.ics.nitech.ac.jp/download.html

Thanks.