[Asterisk-Users] Re: High Density configuration for Voice & Fax

Darren Nickerson darren.nickerson at ifax.com
Wed Feb 11 17:29:00 MST 2004

> To do fax well still requires something on the board itself handling
> the (de-)modulation.
>
> Unfortunately, the current state of the art still uses one dsp per
> ds0, rather than using a faster dsp and hard real-time scheduling
> to process an entire span on one chip, so they re a lot more
> expensive than digium's cards, and AFAIK are only available in
> one (T1/E1) span per card configurations.
>
> Given the expected adoption of IPP Fax¹ by the multi-function device
> vendors I don't expect there will be any multi-span fax-capable cards
> coming out either.
>
> Hylafax.org has pointers to a couple of good boards for fax.

The HylaFAX.org website is a little lacking (and is in some cases so out of
date it's misleading) in terms of describing high-density (T1/E1) fax with
HylaFAX - the focus at hylafax.org is where more of the open-source
community plays ... with 1-2 line analog setups. That's where we come in ...
we specialize in larger stuff ;-)

We recommend Brooktrout or EICON intelligent fax boards. They do ECM error
correction, support 2D MMR compression and dynamic recompression of fax
image data, and they have robust implementations of V.34 (33.6 speed) fax
which can cut down on call setup times and duration, and therefore reduce
toll charges pretty significantly.

-Darren

--
Darren Nickerson