[Asterisk-Users] Asterisk as non root

Tilghman Lesher tilghman at mail.jeffandtilghman.com
Thu Feb 5 12:25:34 MST 2004

On Thursday 05 February 2004 11:13, Chris Lee wrote:
> Tilghman Lesher wrote:
> > Permissions problem.  User asterisk needs to have permissions to
> > write the file /var/run/asterisk.ctl
> >
> >>2: The pid file is no longer being updated
> >
> > Again, permissions problem.
>
> I was under the impression that changing the line:
> ASTVARRUNDIR=$(INSTALL_PREFIX)/var/run/asterisk
>
> fixed it so that asterisk.ctl and asterisk.pid got written in the
> /var/run/asterisk directory, which I gave asterisk ownership of.
> Am I mistaken here, and if so where do I configure the source so that
> they get put there, thus getting the rights they need?

Check your /etc/asterisk/asterisk.conf.  That file states where the
varrun directory is located.  If it doesn't exist, then it will use
whatever path is hardcoded into asterisk.  Note that changing the
value in the Makefile necessitates a 'make clean install' before the
paths will be updated in the binary.

If you're not sure of the path hardcoded, you can run the following:
strings /usr/sbin/asterisk | grep -E 'asterisk.(ctl|pid)'

-Tilghman