[Asterisk-Users] Calls dropping off

Rich Adamson radamson at routers.com
Thu Feb 5 05:33:06 MST 2004

Steve,
Since I have a rather short memory and receive about 250 posting per day, I
don't have a clue what has/hasn't been suggested. Here's a couple:
1. in logger.conf turn on debug, watch /var/log/asterisk/debug for size, and
   and hints relative to the dropped calls
2. look at /var/log/asterisk/messages for hints
3. if the problem occurs frequently enough, start a ping from the * box to
   one or more of the sip phones to verify you're not loosing net connections
   at the time of the dropped call (Spanning Tree Protocol can mess with your
   infrastructure without you knowing it, as one example)
4. look in /var/log/asterisk/cdr-csv/Master.csv file to see if any hints in
   the cdr data
5. post a relavent definition from sip.conf so we have a clue how you've
   defined a phone, as well as a relative Dial section from extensions.conf
   and zapata.conf
6. I don't recall which sip phones you're using, but some have internal
   logging capabilities. If your's do, turn it on and look for hints.
7. Download ethereal and sniff the asterisk nic interface, ensure you stop
   it right after a failure. If you need help doing the protocol analysis,
   then let me know.

Rich