[Asterisk-Users] Adtran 750 Configuration

Brent Franks mwless at mindworks.net
Wed Feb 4 12:59:45 MST 2004

Hey John, See my Responses below:

> Basically, I'm trying to run 10 POTS lines into the Adtran and get
> output into the T100P.  Clearly, I have very little idea of what I'm
> doing, so I thought I'd ask:

Was in the same position two weeks ago, but have a working system now
tahnks to all the help on the list and the folks at Digium.

> 1) Do I need to do anything other than put the FXO cards in and figure
> out which lines are live on the 66 block?  Or will I need to open up a
> console on the Adtran and fix up a few things?

Yes, you'll need to figure out on the 66 block which lines go where.  In
order to integrate with the current 66 block (and provide a fail over so
the clients could "easily" switch back to the old PBX) I created my own
AMP 50 cable based on what was coming out of the 66 block, mapped to
where the FXO cards were.  If retaining an easy way to revert back isn't
important, you can move the lines around on the 66..?

> 2) If the latter, what needs to be set on the Adtran?

You shouldn't really need to setup anything on the Adtran, as it ships
with the framing we'll use.  I'll describe in the next question.  Also,
the Adtran 750 ships with a txgain and rxgain of 0 on the FXO cards, so
there is not much adjustment there that you can do.

> 3) What are the settings for zaptel.conf and zapata.conf?

You'll notice the options esf and b8zs below.  The adtran (and almost
all Chan Banks) ship standard with this.

The fxsks declaration below describes what channels on the Chan Bank are
configured.  For FXO ports, you want to use fxsks signaling.

The loadzone and default zone will obviously be different if you are not
in the US.

/etc/zaptel.conf

span=1,0,0,esf,b8zs
fxsks=1-5
# BMZ has the option to add more cards / lines to the CB
# Setup T1 Span 2
# span=2,1,0,esf,b8zs
# fxoks=25-48
loadzone = us
defaultzone=us

The settings described below are pretty straight forward and very well
documented in the * handbook on asterisk.org under support.  You can
turn immediate=no to yes if you want, your call.

/etc/asterisk/zapata.conf

[channels]
language=en
; Set the context for dialplan calling
group=1
context=incoming
; FXO Cards use FXS signalling, lets use Kickstart
signalling=fxs_ks
; Don't Use CallerID Because it's not on at BMZ
usecallerid=no
; Cancel that Echo
echocancel=yes
;echocancelwhenbridged=no
; Use only the first Channel for Incoming Voice
callerid = "Incoming" <(###) ###-####>
immediate=no
busydetect=no
callprogress=no
rxgain=0.0
txgain=0.0
channel=1-5

> 4) How will the caller-ID be signalled?

Are you talking about Caller ID on internal phones or going out on the
PSTN?  If you have caller id enabled in Zapata.conf it should be passed
on to the phone (I have SIP phones, and its passed on)  I don't have
callerid at this site the config is from, and I send Incoming as the
callerid string to the incoming phone lines, and then the sip phone
shows incoming and plays a double trill ring so they no its an external
incoming.

> 5) Does anybody need three quad FXS cards?  The Adtran came with 6
quad
> FXS and I'm replacing three with FXO cards, so I won't need all of
> them.  (I was just going to leave the other three in the Adtran)
>
> 6) On the other hand, should I take out all 6 FXS cards and just go
with
> the three FXO or will it matter?

If your not going to use FXS I would personally pull them out. Your call
though, shouldn't make a difference.