[Asterisk-Users] The Smallest Asterisk Server Ever?

Greg Boehnlein damin at nacs.net
Tue Feb 3 12:47:37 MST 2004

On Tue, 3 Feb 2004, Steven Critchfield wrote:

> On Tue, 2004-02-03 at 12:01, Chris Albertson wrote:
> > I read a report of Asterisk running on a Microsoft X-Box.
> > That's kind of a stunt as you could buy a decent PC for
> > the price of a Linux-capable XBox.  Id's still like to
> > see Asterisk run on very low-end hardware
> >
> > The Snom IP phone runs Linux inside?  I assume as Linux
> > is GPL'd Snom will supply the source code?  It would be
> > fun to install an Asterisk server in a phone.
>
> Similarly, I know there was a stink about Linksys using linux inside a
> router. I just picked up a USR 802.11g router that would be cool to get
> a small VoIP only asterisk install on. It would make setting up those
> 802.11b phones nice and easy.

I think this would be a stretch. I've done quite a bit of hacking on
uClinux and embedded systems (http://myturl.com/0009L) and the lack of a
MMU and some of the standard stuff that every PC based Linux user is used
to can be a pretty difficult road to trod.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for trying, but running it on the WR54g and/or
the Actiontec Dual PC modem is probably not an option.

                             KP-216-121-ST