[Asterisk-Users] How do I provide redundancy and reliability w/ Asterisk?

WipeOut wipe_out at users.sourceforge.net
Sun Feb 1 14:51:34 MST 2004

phollenback at pobox.com wrote:

>I'm trying to set up an Asterisk system for a small office, and one thing
>I haven't figured out yet is how to best provide reliability.  One way
>to go seems to be a T1 for all my incoming phone lines.  What if that T1
>goes down?  Can I use mutiple POTS lines in conjuction with a T1, all
>connecting to my Asterisk server?
>
>What if my Asterisk server fails?  Should I use two Asterisk servers, one
>connected to the T1 and one to the POTS lines?
>
>Thanks,
>P.

Its all come down to how critical the telephone service is to your
business, and how much money you have..

I would say that if you are that worried about your Telco not providing
a reliable service than you should maybe look at using another Telco..

After that its just redundancy, doubling up on everything.. Hard drives
running RAID and dual power supplies, maybe a complete spare server to
plug in if the first fails..

At the end of the day you need to decied what uptime you REQUIRE and how
much money you have to spend and try and get the two as close together
as possible..

Later..