[Asterisk-Users] IAX users

Whisker, Peter Peter.Whisker at logicacmg.com
Fri Dec 31 08:58:01 MST 2004

SIP is a XML-like control channel and is used to negotiate a separate RTP
channel which carries the audio. It is complicated to set-up in cases of
firewalls and NAT, but is an open standard.

IAX2 is a candidate open standard and merges all traffic onto a single UDP
stream - control and audio data. It has two modes, trunk and non-trunk.
Trunk mode is highly efficient for transmitting multiple calls on a single
UDP bearer and has minimal overhead. Standard IAX2 is easier to set-up than
SIP. In terms of user experience, there should be little difference in call
handling and audio quality - in general all of the same codecs and features
are supported.

IAX2 is a  native protocol of Digium's Asterisk switch and I believe stands
for Inter-Asterisk-eXchange version 2.

To answer the query below, IAX (ie IAX11) was the precursor of IAX2. It is
obsolete and should no longer be used. I use IAX when referring to IAX2, but
obviously not all do!

HTH
Peter