[Asterisk-Users] IAXy reliability issues

Gary gary at ausmail.com
Thu Dec 30 14:58:56 MST 2004

On Thu, 30 Dec 2004 13:11:06 -0600, Eric Wieling aka ManxPower wrote:

>Paul Fielding wrote:
>> Hmmm.... I could certainly see that being the issue.  If it is the
>> issue, though, then I think it's something that needs to be addressed.
>>
>> In my opinion, Digium needs to address it, as well as the whole
>> provisioning via cli thing.  I know Asterisk itself is a CLI oriented
>> piece of software, but the more one can do do decrease configuration
>> timing and issues the better off one is.   I think it would be a benefit
>> to allow the IAXy to be programmed via web interface.
>>
>> For that matter, from what I can tell via my own experimentation, it
>> appears that you cannot use DNS to define the asterisk server to it.
>> This is bad, since it means that if the IP of the asterisk server
>> changes, you need to directly reprovision *all* of your IAXy devices....
>>
>> For a new product, it has potential, hopefully these things will be
>> addressed....
>
>The IAXy does not have the CPU, RAM, or Flash to be able to add any
>significant features.  I think it has 4k or RAM and 4k of Flash.

I wonder if a slightly different approach to provision of the IAXy
could be taken,.... (prob still not enough ram/flash.....

a bootp type protocol to a dns, with not only code, but dialplan
(based on MAC address) as well, maybe just extra ram ? I haven't
looked but it might be only a few chip change.....
.