[Asterisk-Users] Soft phone vs. Hardware SIP device quality?

Paul Fielding paul.fielding at shaw.ca
Thu Dec 30 00:17:06 MST 2004

I've been messing with some hardware sip devices and with softphones
(X-Lite, X-Pro and SjPhone).   Compared to the hardware devices, the
softphones blow chunks (tm) for sound quality.  the softphones are quieter,
crackly, and overal more difficult to understand the voice, while a sip
device at the same location sounds great.

I've tried proprietary softphones (such as Nortel and one other who's name I
forget) that sound great,  and X-Lite and sjphone are both using the same
protocol and codecs as the sip devices, so i don't understand what I'm
missing.

Anyone have any suggestions?

regards,

Paul