[Asterisk-Users] PRI Woes continue

Andrew Kohlsmith akohlsmith-asterisk at benshaw.com
Wed Dec 29 20:35:28 MST 2004

On December 29, 2004 09:42 pm, Andrew McRory wrote:
> Well it is hard to go back to a specific configuration since I have used
> the system to test the rpm packages I compile.

Yikes.

> Nothing like using a production server for testing, eh? I have reverted to
> a (actually several) pre 1.0 release that worked well, changed the port,
> moved the PCI slot, changed out the motherboard three times, enabled and
> disabled onboard devices, tried several kernels, rerun the cabling from
> the smart jack, checked the powersupply voltages, UPS, power cabling, etc
> etc etc. Basic troubleshooting? yeah man.

That wasn't meant to be flip -- Perhaps I've just been bitten too many times
myself by doing the exact same thing you just did -- I back up my config
(going as far as to rsync or image the partition if I need) before changing
something like that on a production system... especially something as
important as our main telephone system.  :-)

> I dont have a T100P lying around so I cant do much in the way of changing
> the interface. Yet. Before I commit to changing that I want to rule out
> any other possibilities... How can one determine without a shadow of a
> doubt that it is the card or otherwise? I have enabled all the debugging I
> can find BUT the output is foriegn to me... <shrug>

Yeah -- I don't know -- I am the last to blame hardware (10 years as an
embedded electronics designer does that to you) but failing everything else
it really does seem that this is the issue, does it not?

Something else I learned the hard way -- have any criticial hardware available
onhand, not at a distributor, even if they can ship overnight -- I have a
story about a DS3 MUX that had both controllers die and the manufacturer
shipped one overnight but UPS lost it...  true story.  It's expensive to have
hardware sitting on the shelf idle but better that than be without phone
service or whatever other critical system you've got.  :-)

> Is there a way to log all communication on the D Channel? Have I missed
> some critical debugging reference? I'm going crosseyed looking, tweaking
> and trying the same things over again.

pri debug span 1 will show you all q.931 traffic and intense will show you the
q.921 traffic too, but this seems deeper than that -- I am not a telco expert
but it certainly seems like something very low level is buggered.  I am sorry
I can't be more help.

-A.