[Asterisk-Users] IP Phone recommendations?

brian at txshirts.com brian at txshirts.com
Wed Dec 29 19:32:31 MST 2004

Thanks for the really splendid details on * vs Nor*.

You bring up some really valid points.  My only question is that I
understand Norstar etc to be a "digital" phone system as opposed to a
"analog" phone system.  I think it's just a different voltage/frequency,
but perhaps someone could enlighten me.

I'm leaning towards a forklift operation.  Mainly because there are only
a couple of users who live on the phones and the other stations are just
to save people from running to answer a phone.

We had narrowed the field when I put the question out there, but I
wanted to leave it open to gather unbiased feedback.  I opted to use the
Polycom 500  for our phone-intense stations.  It's a good phone and will
best mimic our current phones.

Based on some other feedback I have my eye on a Sipura SPA-841 as a
"basic" phone.  It should support all the features we currently use with
only Two line appearance.  That is fine for most people/stations.

For now I'm going to develop * off to the side with two Polycom 500's.
Then we'll get the hardware in place, get the dialplan built, and do a
few weekend tests where we patch the lines over for the weekend and
torture them.  If all goes well we'll leave the Nor* offline and
decomission it after a two week safety period.  I figure this maximizes
our ROI on VOIP by allowing us to sell the whole nor* system to someone
who will appreciate it.

The testing phase will allow me to train the 1 or 2 people who do heavy
phone work ahead of the cutover so that they can help other employees
get the hang of it.  The nice thing as I see it is that VOIP will add
features, not remove them.  Initially our goal will be to keep the
dialplan nice and simple.  Down the road we can make it complicated by
adding cool features.  But of course, that's the strategic advantage to
* as opposed to our current Nortel MoneyPit.

Down the road I'd like to get a 802.11b wireless phone.  It would be
cooler still if I had one that was GSM capable and could play on
cingular's network when it couldn't find a wireless station.  I guess we
have to have something to dream about :).  Although I seem to remember
GTE MobileNet had a service like this 10 years ago that was wireless
when you were away and landline when you were near.

Brian Greul
Texas Shirt Company
www.txshirts.com
713-802-0369 / 713-861-6261 (fax)