[Asterisk-Users] Asterisk, she no hang uppa the phone!

Lane lane at joeandlane.com
Wed Dec 29 16:33:32 MST 2004

On Wednesday 29 December 2004 17:22, Adam Goryachev wrote:
> On Thu, 2004-12-30 at 09:32, Lane wrote:
> > I've been working on the local side of asterisk for several days, and I
> > have the in-house dial plan pretty well corn fingered to my satisfaction.
> >
> > Today I began working on the other side to make asterisk do things like
> > place an outgoing call to PSTN and route an incoming call from PSTN.
> >
> > I'm using a TDM11B with a single fxs and a single fxo.  My analog handset
> > is plugged into the port that gives me the dailtone (stil can't keep it
> > straight if that's fxo or fxs, but I get a dialtone and can call
> > extensions corn fingered in extensions.conf)
> >
> > But when I dial 9NXXXXXX I see this on the console:
> >
> >     -- Starting simple switch on 'Zap/1-1'
> >     -- Called 4/2234791
> >     -- Zap/4-1 answered Zap/1-1
> >     -- Attempting native bridge of Zap/1-1 and Zap/4-1
> >
> > After several moments I hear a crackly version of the "Hey Stoopid!  You
> > left the phone off the hook!"  (Anybody know what that signal is really
> > called? the one that beeps real fast and real loud?) So I hang up the
> > handset and I see:
> >
> >     -- Hungup 'Zap/4-1'
> >     -- Hungup 'Zap/1-1'
> >
> > But if I pick up another handset on the same line that asterisk is
> > plugged into, I still hear the "Hey Stoopid!" signal.
> >
> > So then I unplug asterisk, wait a moment, check that the dialtone has
> > returned, plug 'er back up and dail in from my cell phone ...
> >
> > And she no pick uppa the phone!
> >
> > And no information is recorded on the console.
> >
> > I think maybe I have defined signalling improperly in zapata.conf
> > (fxs_ks), but I dunno where I can get more info on the proper signalling.
>
> I found the same problem when trying to use a X100P connecting to an
> analog line from another PBX (NEC something). I never did get it to
> work, though it was about a year ago... Mark logged in, but AFAICT,
> never did much (got interrupted with other things).
> Recently I noticed that specific X100P card, one of the resistors 'legs'
> is broken and so not properly connected to the card. I don't feel up to
> re-soldering something like that though... It's been too long since I've
> tried to solder anything, and even back then, most of the time I just
> screwed things up more anyway....
>
> So, it could be a faulty FXO module (my first suspect), or, it could be
> incorrect config (I've never seen that happen though), or, it could be a
> really weird PSTN connection. What is at the other end of your FXO ??
>
> Regards,
> Adam

BellSouth is on the other end.

I'm in birmingham, so I've been operating under the hope that the differences
between the local pstn for Digium in Huntsville and me in birmingham is
negligible (Understanding, of course, that they probably haven't used an
analog phone for a while).

I'll keep monkeying with the configuration while New Years blows up, then
contact digium next week if I can't finger it out.

Thanks for the tips.

lane