[Asterisk-Users] IP Phone recommendations?

brian at txshirts.com brian at txshirts.com
Wed Dec 29 08:50:33 MST 2004

Hey gang,
  I'm looking at escaping from a Nortel Meridian CISC system to
Asterisk/Digium/SIP phones.  I'm currently in the testing and proof of
concept phase.  I'm going to need a SIP phone and don't want to
re-purchase and have "orphans" around.

We currently run Nortel 7310 phones and they work great.
I'm sort of overwhelmed by all of the different IP phones.  I was hoping
some folks would share what they have found.
My primary goal is to replicate the 7310's features and to allow room
for growth in the future with telephony applications.

Our primary driver is configurability and features that we can get in
Asterisk, that we can get without a lot of money from Nortel.

Namely-
Voicemail, telecommuting workers on the pbx, better call handling,
better automation.
I'd like to be able to integrate smart features like directory and call
handling to the handset, but I'll freely admit I'm just starting out.
My initial goal is to just to get onto Asterisk and get it working.
I'll worry about cool stuff later.

Our integration and migration plan is as follows:  If anyone has some
suggestions or pointers I'd love to hear them.

1. Test and evaluate Asterisk with TDM400 with 1 FXO/FSO port each.
2. Configure Asterisk to be the primary PBX and slave the Nortel
Meridian system to it using a second TDM400.  This avoids immediate
replacement of all handsets.  Will allow immediate access to features
such as Voicemail.
3. Overtime, upgrade desk phones to IP phones.  When all phones are
replaced, decommission Nortel and sell on Ebay.  :)

Cold turkey option is to spend the extra $ and buy the handsets upfront
and just ditch nortel without a transition period.

We currently have 4 pbx lines and 1 dedicated fax/credit card line.
We have 10 handsets.

Thanks,

Brian Greul
Texas Shirt Company