[Asterisk-Users] Supporting "End User Line Features"

brett-asterisk at worldcall.net brett-asterisk at worldcall.net
Wed Dec 29 08:30:25 MST 2004

Sigh..

This shouldn't be so hard. Ok guys, I'm trying to figure out how to
support end user features for my users. Perhaps some of them are typical
verticle service features like *69, *72, *66, etc, you get the picture.

Here's my deal. Sure implementing them one by one is easy enough. But
building the logic on the incoming side (PSTN calling my SIP customer
for example) is a real pain:
1. Call comes in from pstn
2. is destination allowed to call forward?
3. If call forwarding is allowed, is it enabled?
4. If it's enabled, what's the number?
5. Is do not disturbed allowed/enabled?
6. Is call return allowed/enabled?
7. if call return is enabled, store the incoming callerid
8. etc. etc. etc

So a standard extension could end up being really really really long to
support all these features.. Just seems so.. wrong considering that some
of my customers might have no features at all. I seem to remember that
Zoa mentioned that "goto"s were horribly slow and I'm planning on really

So does anyone have any ideas on some simple logic that doesn't require
each and every call to go through all these steps? I can't seem to think
of a way.. Other than doing funky pattern matches...

Then again, if the gotos arn't such a big deal, or if having 40-80
actual steps before a call is sent to the phone is ok, hey, I'm ok with
that. Anyone have any experience with that? It just.. feels so wrong..
Seems like a gosub might be what I need <shrug>

Any thoughts?

Heh, I know chances are that the solution is probably a lot more obvious
than I'm making it. So if it is, please be gentle with me. :)
Thanks,
-Brett