[Asterisk-Users] PRI & CPU Usage

Tue Dec 28 23:48:18 MST 2004

On Wed, 2004-12-29 at 11:22, Derek Conniffe wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I'm a bit unclear about how PRI voice channels use CPU usage in an asterisk
> box - it is like a codec conversion or does a PRI channel have a generic
> codec itself?

AFAIK, a PRI will use either ALAW or ULAW, depending on your telco's
default. ie, in Australia we use ALAW, in the US and possible other
places, they might use ULAW....

>   I am wondering what the CPU requirements are to, for example,
> handle all 120 channels on a TE405p and then trunk all the conversations
> elsewhere over an IAX2 link.

Well, that is hard to say, assuming you are not going to transcode to
some other codec, then I *assume* it would be minimal, but... given the
trunking, there may be some additional conversion needed.

Regards,
Adam