[Asterisk-Users] Meetme scalable to 300 people?

Geoff Nordli geoffn at gnaa.net
Tue Dec 28 17:52:18 MST 2004

asterisk-users-bounces at lists.digium.com <> scribbled on :

> What is the difference between meetme and app_conference?  I
> am looking to
> conference a mere 10 people.  Just getting into some testing
> here.  I have
> ordered a $229 dell (on sale now) 2.5ghz celery/512mb
> ram/80gb hd/cdrom/etc.
> for a server and was thinking about ordering three PAP2-NA's
> for testing.
> Is there a better adapter for the price ?
>
> --
> Patrick Campbell
> OurVacationStore.com
> Website Administrator
> Tel. 602.896.4729

Hi Patrick.

I haven't used the PAP-NA's yet, but they are supposedly a clone of the
Sipura's which are supposed to be OK.  Depending on the # of FXS ports you
are going to scale out to you can't beat the cost per port of a used channel
bank and a T100P card.

App_conference is here:
http://www.voip-info.org/wiki-Asterisk+app_conference

It is designed to scale better than meetme.  It looks like the primary
difference is it only does the transcoding once per each codec, and supports
silence detection.

Geoff