[Asterisk-Users] Comdial PBX -- can use Asterisk as VM box?

steve szmidt steve at szmidt.org
Sun Dec 26 09:06:00 MST 2004

On Tuesday 07 December 2004 04:18 pm, Matt Darnell wrote:
> On Tue, 7 Dec 2004 12:58:11 -0500, George Herndon
>
> <gherndon at eyeontech.com> wrote:
> > On Dec 7, 2004, at 8:48 AM, asterisk-users-request at lists.digium.com
> > wrote:
> > ken ,
> >
> > i too have a comdial analog pbx.  i'm running a seperate vm system and
> > would like to migrate to asterisk.  right now, my comdial
> >
> > hands off calls via serial connections to my vm box.  i don't really
> > know what i'm talking about, but i'd like to find a solution whereby i
> > could accept the T1s (2 in my case) to an asterisk server, route calls
> > to vm as necessary and then hand station calls out to my existing PBX.
> > some clients could be converted over to new IP phones or software based
> > phones (customer service, if quality is good enough) and some clients
> > would remain analog.
> >
> > if anyone is doing this (or a similar but proven and technically
> > correct workflow) let me know.

If you terminate the T's in the Asterisk box and then put patch cables between
the Asterisk box and your Comdial, you can probably accomplish these things.

You might need to detect what your Comdial does to talk to a VM system and
then configure Asterisk to answer properly.

If you can make Comdial send calls to a specific number, it can make a call
that is received by Asterisk and route it to it's VM.

Using the same type of interception you can add VoIP extensions that are
accessable from your Comdial. The question is how flexible is Comdial for
having it make extension type dialing out to the T1's?

If it will send out what you tell it to, then Asterisk can receive those and
be an extension of the Comdial box. Calls from Asterisk extensions are easily
routed to the correct interface and received by Comdial. So if you can
configure routing tables on it you should be OK.

Digium has a quad T1 card so you have all done on one card.
--

Steve Szmidt

"They that would give up essential liberty for temporary safety
deserve neither liberty nor safety."
                                Benjamin Franklin