[Asterisk-Users] Tie web application to VOIP

Steve Underwood steveu at coppice.org
Fri Dec 24 22:22:43 MST 2004

Damon Estep wrote:

>Steven,
>
>Just a quick reminder, MS SQL on Windows is hands down the best
>performing transact SQL database on the planet, and Oracle on Windows is
>a close #2. Some might argue that Oracle is #1 and MS is #2. Anyone that
>argues any Linux SQL db even comes close in performance better provide
>some evidence to back their argument.

I think I would cite Oracle. They say their database runs much better on
Linux than on Windows. If Oracle on Windows is arguably better than MS
SQL, Oracle on linux must be a hands down winner.

The last time I used MS SQL was about 5 years ago, but it was hands down
the biggest heap of crap in the database world back then. I guess it has
improved, but if you think its the best out there I guess you haven't
tried very much stuff.

> The asp.net SQL database providers
>for MS SQL and Oracle SQL are highly optimized direct socket interfaces
>to the SQL server. (no odbc crap!)

Its only the Windows crap which ever really used ODBC. Most people have
always used direct operations.

>You would be hard pressed to build a
>faster web app than asp.net talking to MS or Oracle SQL servers with the
>native .net provider.
>
>It will not surprise me a bit to see the better of the asterisk web
>front ends on MS platforms, primarily because the larger companies that
>might use * in the future already use MS SQL and Oracle for their
>customer databases.
>
>Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against UNIX/Linux, I just know that
>both windows and Linux have their place in the world.

I think you've been drinking the Koolade.

Steve