[Asterisk-Users] Cisco, Codecs, Sip Phones et al

George Burt george at trueshot.com
Fri Dec 24 08:14:11 MST 2004

I am loving Asterisk!

I have a Cisco 7960 (Sip) on which I want to try using g729 encoding.  I
cannot find a setting for this in the phone's interactive screen menu.  Do I
set it in the sip.conf file?

I have also ordered 2 licenses from Digium.  My understanding is that
because this Cisco phone can handle the encoding, * just passes it thru.  Is
this correct?

Also, I am using LiveVoip for my call termination via IAX (very happy with
them, very unhappy with Gafachi).  I cannot find any information from
LiveVoip that indicates whether they accept G729.  Is it likely or is it
just dependant upon the provider?

My interest is to improve voice quality over DSL and/or Cable Modem
connections.  I have QoS working (Sveasoft), and it has improved the
situation, but the words are still bracketed with distortion.  I am hoping
the smaller Codec will mitigate this to an acceptable level.

George Burt