[Asterisk-Users] Recommended IAX softphone.

Michael Van Donselaar michael-list at vandonselaar.org
Thu Dec 23 15:36:35 MST 2004

On Thu, 23 Dec 2004 22:43:43 +0100, Bruno Hertz <brrhtz at yahoo.de> wrote:

>After having been toying around with asterisk and various VoIP stuff
>for a couple of weeks now, I want to recommend a preferred protocol
>and softphone to friends and family for calling me up.
>
>As SIP and H323 are such a mess to set up in NATed environments, the
>only reasonable protocol option right now seems to be IAX.
>
>After looking at http://www.voip-info.org/wiki-Asterisk+IAX+clients
>and trying some of those, I'm still not sure which the best client
>might be.

Aside from firefly, I think all IAX2 softphones are based on Steve Kann's
iaxclient library: http://iaxclient.sourceforge.net/index.html

I've put links to all of the softphones of which I'm aware on the index page.

>Do you guys have any recommendation, in view of robustness, codec
>support, general feature richness? If so, I would like to hear ...

DIAX and iaxComm are the only iaxclient-based phones right now that support
other than GSM codec.  The current version of iaxclient allows them to support
alaw,ulaw,gsm,iLBC and Speex.

iaxComm is Open Source, and currently runs on Win32 and i386Linux platforms.
Earlier versions run on Mac OSX, but I don't have hardware to compile it, and
have not had any recent reports.