[Asterisk-Users] RedAlarm (t100p - Adtran Total Access 750)

Rich Adamson radamson at routers.com
Thu Dec 23 13:54:31 MST 2004

> > > Should I set the channel bank to provide timing or receive timing?
> >
> > Proper symantics: timing is "always" encoded into a T1/E1 transmit
> > signal. You can't disable it.
> >
> > "Clock Sync" on the other hand is a setable option. If the 750 is
> providing
> > fxs interfaces to phones, then set the 750 to receive sync from the T100P.
> > In the majority of cases (regardless of whether fxo or fxs interfaces are
> > installed), channel banks should be syncing from your asterisk box.
> Why would you say channel banks should sync with asterisk box ?
> I would advoate that the highest quality timing source should be the souce
> of timing, ie which source has the most accurate crystal or what source
> has the highest stratum rating ?

Because clock sync really does not have anything to do with what piece
of equipment you happen to think is more accurate then another.

It has everything to do with planning for the future, expecting * to
someday have a T1 link to the pstn (which "will" be the high level src
for sync), and all downstream/subordinate devices to obtain their sync
from a higher level box (asterisk).

Touch the equipment "once"; don't create a configuration that requires one
to revisit earlier decisions/choices. (Unless you like the travel time :)