[Asterisk-Users] Asterisk Interface to propriotary system and GPL

Gilad Ben-Yossef gilad at codefidence.com
Wed Dec 22 13:27:25 MST 2004

Shahed wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I am wondering if I will be breaking the GPL,
> if I write for example, a channel driver or
> make some modifications to the astrisk source code,
> to interface at RUN TIME, through sockets, with
> a proprietary system.

First, a warning - I am NOT a lawyer. I don't play one on TV, either and
you really need a lawyer to answer this question.

Having said that...

The real testing which matter is whether your socket layer + propritery
stuff + Asterisk is considered "derived work" of Asterisk. This is the
the ONLY test that really matters.

In most circumstances known to me, if you communicate with the
propritery engine via sockets, even if you wrote the layer for this
yourself, you are not creating a dervied work anymore then using
Asterisk to communicate via SIP to some propritery SIP server/gateway
makes a propritery work from the SIP gateway and Asterisk, so you're OK
legally.

Having said that, and reminding you again that you really need to ask a
layer, you should consider two other issues:

1. Moral issue - being legal does no make it moral.
2. Perfomace issues.

And why really not make your propritery code wrapper talk some VoIP
protocol and be done with it anyway?

Gilad