[Asterisk-Users] Asterisk Interface to propriotary system and GPL

Chris Albertson chrisalbertson90278 at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 22 10:27:03 MST 2004

If everything on the Aterisk side of the socket is GPL'd
I think you are OK.

Look at the example of a Linux system running Netscape
browing the web when there is a Microsoft HTTP server.
Then we have a GPL's system conected to a closed
comercial system over a socket (port 80).

The grey area is when you link GPL's code to non GPL
I think the case of a socket interface is pretty clear.

--- Shahed <shahed at enoor.com> wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I am wondering if I will be breaking the GPL,
> if I write for example, a channel driver or
> make some modifications to the astrisk source code,
> to interface at RUN TIME, through sockets, with
> a proprietary system.
>
> Eg.
>
> 1. I write chan_xxx + modify asterisk source
>     (make changes + new code publicly  available)
>
> 2. chan_xxx supports hardware by XXX Corp.
>
> 3, XXX Corps interface  is proprietary.
>
> 4. I write a layer over XXX Corps API, that uses sockets,
>     with the ONLY intent to BYPASS the GPL restrictions
>     (If what I think about them are correct)
>
> 5. Asterisk now interfaces at runtime with XXX,
>     but no library linking.
>
> 6. I sell the system, make all modifications available
>      under GPL, but don't purchase any sort of license
>      from Digium.
>
> I looked at http://www.netrino.com/Articles/LinuxLaw/
> and some ML posts, and it seems that perhaps I may be
> somewhat correct ?
>

> Please don't ask we why I would want to do this,
> because this is a hypothetical situation.
> I just want to clarify this, for maybe, future use.
>
> Thanks
> Shahed

=====
Chris Albertson