[Asterisk-Users] sip seeding vs registration

Race Vanderdecken asterisk at vanderdecken.com
Wed Dec 22 10:30:58 MST 2004

Seeding is important, more important then most people think.

If you are running a gateway and people can't call a phone behind the
gateway because Asterisk has done a reboot, then the call from the pay
phone cannot get in because the phone address is not know.

While the 30-45 second or 5 minute delay until the register may seem
picky so some it is to long for others.

Business can not be halted while we are waiting for the SIP phone to
register. A customer does not want to call in and then be told the phone
is not available, make you look bad to the customer. Don't think of the
normal 9-5 office stuff, think of a server doing continuous calls all
day long. Think 3rd World Bodega.

I use a "Zombie" list; every time a phone registers I note its address.
When asterisk reboots it checks the "Zombie" file and tells each phone
in the list to "re-register" (a cool SIP command) immediately. This way
there is no waiting for the phone time out to expire.

The Zombie list is great for development as we, or at least I, tend to
fix, boot, break, fix, boot, break... hundreds of times a day. If I had
to wait on the phone to call in then nothing would get done. If I have
the phone self-registration set low, the messages make extra debug
traffic to wade through. Too high and I am sitting idle till it calls
in.

Race Vanderdecken
Merry Christmas