[Asterisk-Users] Another Asterisk Certification

Alexander Lopez alex.lopez at opsys.com
Wed Dec 22 10:14:50 MST 2004

What started out as a good thing for the community has veared it ugly
head and will come back to bite us in the ass. I give my respect to the
two companies that decided to put themselves 'out there' and attempted
to bring 'real world' certifications of knowledge in an area that is
unregulated, open, and currently has no measurement of how much one
person has over another.

What makes me different than the person next door selling the same
solution. We both have access to the hardware, software and newsgroups.
What is there to tell the customer that _I_ am better suited to solve
the customers' problem or implement a solution that will work?? Nothing!

We are faced with a growing install base and many who put together
systems are doing it for the first time.

Sure any customers will get fed up with Asterisk and vie never to use it
again. Others, like many customers' that I have found like it but need a
someone with expertise to help them through the tough configs.

Will Asterisk certification help me, depends.

My strength not only lie in the configuration and modification of
Asterisk but in the whole telecom and networking expeiriance that I
have.

This is new stuff, you must know about MTU, E1, T1, PRI, FXO, FXS, TCP,
UDP, Linux, Iptables, http, Nat, etc.

Tell me why you can still talk to someone clearly, but are not able to
use a modem past 2400 baud at a hotel, and you'll understand codecs and
how they interoperate.

We conserned ourselves with being 'left out' of a certification that may
not actually reflect what we know is needed to do what we do.

I have never or probably never hired someing because of certifications
alone.  You got um, good! Go fix the problem, that was not covered in
'the book'!!