[Asterisk-Users] Setting up asterisk for one user in private ipNAT.

Rich Adamson radamson at routers.com
Wed Dec 22 05:52:41 MST 2004

To help clearify for those that don't have a good understanding of the
tcp-ip protocol, consider this:
- sip and rtp use the udp protocol (not tcp)
- all sip boxes (regardless of whether the box is a phone or *) _listen_
  on udp port 5060. (What udp port is used as the _source_ port when
  sending call setup data to the _destination_ port of 5060 is
  irrelavent. It can be any udp port.)
- * and _all_ phones (regardless of soft or hard) communicate the call
  setup info across udp port 5060.
- you can have 100's of phones and multiple asterisk boxes all using
  udp port 5060 as the protocol stack will keep track of each ip address
  and port number. No conflicts whatsoever.
- * and all sip phones will negotiate an rtp port over the sip 5060
  channel. * might pick udp port 12345 while the phone might pick
  udp port 23456. Once both ends have negotiated the rtp ports, audio
  is transported across those ports only (not the udp 5060 control port).