[Asterisk-Users] Ouch, part reset, quickly

Jim Van Meggelen jim at vanmeggelen.ca
Tue Dec 21 22:28:33 MST 2004

asterisk-users-bounces at lists.digium.com wrote:
>> On December 21, 2004 08:29 am, Jim Van Meggelen wrote:
>>> 5 Watts per FXS
>>>
>>> They also told me each FXS port would support a REN (ringer
>>> equivalence number) of 5.0, which means that you should be able to
>>> to ring five of the old electromechanical telephones simultaneously
>>> off of each FXS port on the card - 20 of them in all.
>>>
>>> Does anybody know what the wattage is for a REN?
>>
>> Well given what you just provided, I'd say the "wattage for a REN"
>> is 1 Watt, minus whatever the card itself uses which would be
>> minimal.  :-)
>
> REN really only applies to the old style ringers. The newer
> electronic ones are basically sensors only, and as such, are waaaay
> lower then that.

I know it. But if an FXO says it can provide 5 REN, then it has to be
able to handle 5 of those 2500 sets, yes? And since the TDM400 has 4
ports, that means that you should be able to drive 20 electromechanical
ringers simultaneously off one card, yes?

I know, I'm a sadist - who would really want to do that? But if it says
REN 5 _per_FXS_port_, then I have this burning desire to know (yes,
Rich, I'm the kid who stuck my finger in the electrical socket because I
just _had_ to know -- did it twice, as a matter of fact).

And then I contemplate getting twenty 2500 sets (what's that, about
400lbs?) and connecting them up to my precious lab system, sending
ringing to all of 'em, and either smelling smoke, or causing everyone to
think the fire alarm is going off!

And . . . success or failure, what exactly have I achieved?

It's all academic, and slightly masochistic . . .