[Asterisk-Users] Setting up asterisk for one user in private ip NAT.

Greg Hill gregh-asterisk at hillnet.us
Sat Dec 18 16:01:55 MST 2004

On Sat, 18 Dec 2004, Anders F Eriksson wrote:

> I've never tried softphones on Linux, but my guess is that since you run
> kphone and asterisk on the same server you get a port conflict. If the
> client uses port 5060 (default sip port) it would defenitely have
> problem connecting to an asterisk on the same port.

that isn't quite how ports work.. True, asterisk listens for udp
connections on 5060. But the softphone won't make its outgoing connection
on 5060. The OS will automatically choose an unused port number for the
outgoing connection. So (for example) you might have the softphone talking
on port 23107 to asterisk on 5060, and asterisk on 5060 talking back to
the softphone on 23107. No port conflict.

Now one place where you could have conflict is if asterisk is trying to
use your soundcard for its console. Then the softphone client may have
trouble getting the soundcard port opened.

Greg