[Asterisk-Users] [Asterisk-Dev] RE: [Asterisk-biz] Asterisktraining andcertification :: AstriconTraining

Stefan de Konink skinkie at xs4all.nl
Mon Dec 20 16:11:23 MST 2004

Hi,

dean collins wrote:
> Here here, a bit of documentation online would cut down considerably the
> traffic on this list asking how to questions.
There is enough information "online" at the moment probably the ability
to find/search your anwers is very limited. First above anything Wiki's
are good, it makes it easy for all kind of people to put something
online. In an ideal situation you want a Wiki 'Expert System' before
your mailinglist. There is much information online but nobody seems to
know, or is able to find it. This is not Asterisk related but more a
general problem of the 21th century.

Microsoft put a kind of question-answer system inside Windows98 (and
maybe 95) maybe it is not that bad at all to cut down traffic.

I pick a random example:
> Can anybody explain me the difference between monitoring and recording?
>
> Can I record a conversation during a phone call, e.g., I find that I should note that, and press "7" to record till I press again "7" (or whatever key is good for that.) while the rest of the phone call will be not recorded!
>
> bye
>
> Ronald

$ What is your problem related to?
 > difference between monitoring and recording

$ Answer: The actions monitoring and recording differ, while cmd monitor
records incomming and outgoing channels to different soundfiles, cmd
record acts as a prompt for voice input.
$ Is this the answer you are looking for?
 > Yes, show examples

$ Good;
cmd monitor ->
  exten => 2060,1,Answer
  exten => 2060,2,Wait(1)
  exten => 2060,3,Monitor(wav,myfilename)
  exten => 2060,4,Meetme(1,ps)

cmd Record ->
[recordings]
exten => 500,1,Festival('Please record your message')
exten => 500,2,Record(mymessage:gsm)
exten => 500,3,Festival('You said')
exten => 500,4,Playback(mymessage)
exten => 500,5,Festival('Press 1 to continue or 2 to change your message')
exten => 500,6,ResponseTimeout(3)

exten => t,1,Festival('Sorry, I did not get that')
exten => t,2,Goto(500,5)

exten => i,1,Festival('Sorry, that is an invalid choice')
exten => i,2,Goto(500,5)

exten => 1,1,System(/bin/mv /var/lib/asterisk/sounds/mymessage.gsm
/var/lib/asterisk/sounds/local/${TIMESTAMP}.gsm)
exten => 1,2,Festival('Thank you, your recording has been saved.')
exten => 1,3,Festival('Press 3 to record another file or 4 to hang up')

exten => 2,1,Goto(500,1)

 > explain cmd Record example

$ Which lines?

(I have no clue if this answer is correct but it is the way I
interpreted the wiki pages
http://www.voip-info.org/tiki-index.php?page=Asterisk%20cmd%20Record and
http://www.voip-info.org/wiki-Asterisk+cmd+monitor)

This isn't even futuristic and probably a xmpp://theanswer@asterisk.org
makes a nice jabber interface to it.

> Cmon sokal, put the questions and training material online.
I think there is effort in this question/training material and if it was
released under the GNU Free Documentation License many people would be
happy. Other people would be able to contribute cases/questions/etc, but
from a business point of view somebody started this on their own (which
looks to me a bit strange in a OSS-community), and now have a 'real'
Asterisk certification for it, so don't bother if you don't like it,
ofcourse you/we can start a Free Online Asterisk Certification Program.

Someone once told me something about cisco certs, cisco prefers to hire
non-cisco certified people over cisco-certified people because they
learned by theirselves the knowledge required to work there. (He was
core designer... without any certs). Don't know if it is true, but I do
like the spirit behind it.

Stefan de Konink