[Asterisk-Users] Incoming voicemail and dialtone

Scott Laird scott at sigkill.org
Mon Dec 20 15:18:35 MST 2004

I have a problem with voicemail recording dialtone on hangups.  From
time to time, callers hang up without leaving a massage, so Asterisk
records around 100 seconds worth of dialtone instead.  I've seen this
off and on for almost 9 months now, it's currently happening with 1.0.2
on Linux 2.6.9.  My Asterisk box has a X100P connected to Verizon and
IAX service through NuFone.

I have call-forward-on-busy enabled on my Verizon line, forwarding
calls to a NuFone 800-number.  Verizon also triggers the forwarding
after around 20 seconds of ringing without an answer.  Quite
frequently, Asterisk will send the POTS call to VM at the same time
that Verizon is forwarding it to NuFone; when this happens, I usually
end up with a voicemail message full of dialtone.

I see that this was discussed in 2003, with a few suggested code fixes,
but I don't see anything obvious on the list since then.  Does anyone
have any suggestions?

Scott