[Asterisk-Users] Re: It's possible to do a codecs translation during a call in Asterisk?

Raúl Gómez Cabrera raulgomez at cantv.net
Sun Dec 19 17:43:56 MST 2004

Hi Matt,

I have a coupple of question yet,

>First a couple of keys, so we know we're talking about the same things.
>
>Your setup (as I understand it) is:
>
>IAXy -> Asterisk A --IAX--> Asterisk B

Ok, as I see my current setup is:

          LAN                Internet                LAN
(IAXy A) ----> (Asterisk A) ---IAX2--> (Asterisk B) ----> (IAXy B)
         ADPCM                 ADPCM                ADPCM

>The easiest way would be:
>
>Asterisk A should have accounts in iax.conf for the IAXy's and the IAX
>link to Asterisk B.

I have in the iax.conf of Asterisk A:

  "register => userA:pass at www.mysite_B.com:4569"

and in the iax.conf of the Asterisk B:

  "register => userB:pass at www.mysite_A.com:4569"

is that what you mean by "account for the IAX link"? if not please tell
me the correct way to do so.

>In the section for the link to Asterisk B, put:
>
>disallow=all
>allow=gsm
>
>and do the same in Asterisk B's iax.conf file for the Asterisk A entry.
>
>That way you will end up with:
>
>IAXY --adpcm IAX--> Asterisk A --GSM IAX--> Asterisk B
>
>Asterisk A will convert from adpcm to GSM and the link between will use
>this.  That way you have highest quality on your LAN (where bandwidth
is
>unimportant) and then a compressed codec for traversal of the WAN
(where
>bandwidth is obviously more important).
>
>Make sense?  :-)

YES! that makes a lot of sense and I think we are talking about the same
think! :-D

Thanks!!!

--
Raúl Gómez Cabrera