[Asterisk-Users] SMS - how to send one

Stefan Reuter asterisk at stefan.de
Sun Dec 19 16:39:45 MST 2004

> > Um, sorry, but if SMS is not for sending to mobile phones, then what is it
> > for (if it matters, I'm not in the US) ?

i am in germany and use app_sms to send sms messgaes to mobile phones.
app_sms does not talk directly to mobile phones but to the sms message
center that in turn sends the sms to the mobile.
sending sms works very well to all mobile networks (i use it for
notification of voicemail new messages). receiving incoming sms is a bit
more tricky as you have to send a sms message from your mobile to a non
mobile number and some providers will use text to speech to read the
contents of the message if they detect a fixed line number as
destination number. therefore receiving sms works only if the sender
uses t-online or a fixed line phone via deutsche telekom.

hope that helps

stefan