[Asterisk-Users] Asterisk Crackly Bad quality

Paul Fielding paul.fielding at shaw.ca
Sun Dec 19 13:07:41 MST 2004

I'm interested in this, too.   I find that when I use Xten or SjPhone
software locally the quality is quite good, but when I use it remotely
across the internet, I get quite a crackly response.

*however*, if I use some SIP hardware, such as a Grandstream 236 or an IP
phone (still use alaw just like Xten and SJ), the quality is great, even
from halfway around the world. Literally.

This leads me to think that the softphones are doing something not as well
as the hardware SIP devices.  Anyone have any thoughts on that?   I've seen
this behavior with multiple client computers, so I don't think it's just the
computer that's using the softphone that's to blame...

Paul