[Asterisk-Users] Re: Asterisk Crackly Bad quality

Rich Adamson radamson at routers.com
Sun Dec 19 05:58:23 MST 2004

> http://www.voip-info.org/wiki-RTP+Silence+Suppression
>
> http://lists.digium.com/pipermail/asterisk-users/2003-August/018670.html
>

> So I am confused.  The first says that VAD is supported in RTP.  Ok, I know that.   The
second is kinda ambiguous and seems to imply that *
> doesnt support VAD.  I think it does now as there is a VAD=yes option in SIP.conf.
>
> Either way since IAX doesnt use RTP both statements are probably not relevant.  Does *
support VAD with IAX?  If so can it be turned
> on and off in IAX??  Does anyone know definitively??   I really like to turn it off and just
send packet continuously.   Should I file a bug
> (feature request)??

Looking at the current /usr/src/asterisk/configs/sip.conf.sample, VAD=yes
does not exist. Since those sample files tend to be the formal documentation
for valid asterisk parameters, it should be safe to say its not supported.
Same for iax.conf.sample; doesn't exist there either.

The comment made by John Todd in the August 2003 posting was simply
suggesting to the original poster (as that time) that he should enter
a feature request into the asterisk bug tracker "if" he felt strongly
that VAD was needed.

The description of VAD in the voip-info reference is simply someone
documenting what the sip rfc states about VAD. It does not imply or
even suggest that asterisk supports VAD. Asterisk does not support VAD
today (nor does it support every option documented in the sip rfc).

The iax data flow betwen two boxes is not the same as sip-rtp data
flows.