[Asterisk-Users] My Boss wants background music!!!!

Bill Seddon bill.seddon at lyquidity.com
Sat Dec 18 15:42:08 MST 2004

<<Care to share a trivial example with us?>>

Sure.  Here's a how-to.  If you'd like a working example, let me know.

Open a TCP connection to * either directly of via, say the sampleproxy.pl
example (http://www.popvox.com/simpleproxy.pl).

Login using the manager API by sending the text string on the connection:

"Action: login\n\n"

After this, that trick is to monitor "events" from *.  Asterisk will send
events to all manager connections.

Events will arrive as text on the connection in the form:

"Event: <some event type>\n<some event text>\n\n"

The event text will contain event type specific information in the format:

"<field>: <value>\n"

For example:

"Event: Newstate"
"Channel: SIP\1002-1a23"

You can monitor "Newstate" events to review the state of a call to an
extension (channel).  For example it might be "ringing" or "dialled".

* will send a "Event: Link" event when a call is answered and an " Event:
Unlink" event when the call is terminated.  Eventually * will send "Event:
Down" indicating that the call channel is on-hook.

You can download an application that illustrates this functionality and is
written in C# from:

http://www.yottadot.org/download.php?op=viewsdownload&sid=10

There examples of playing streamed music in C# such as:

http://www.codeproject.com/cs/media/nbass.asp

Bill Seddon