[Asterisk-Users] OT: "Integrated Access T1" voice problems -is this possible?

Kristian Kielhofner kris at krisk.org
Sat Dec 18 01:36:55 MST 2004

Damon Estep wrote:
> Static allocation of channels is more typical when the integrated access
> delivers TDM voice and IP data, not VoIP and IP data, and if you have a
> VoIP provider that is channelizing the T1 for dedicated Data/Voice
> channels it would surprise me, the real reason must be that they use
> garbage gear that can not properly prioritize voice or they need some IP
> networking training. Properly configured and loaded, a good router will
> never drop voice because of the data load, it will frequenlty drop data
> packets to keep the queues to a manageable size and keep the voice
> quality high. Who is the provider feeding you this info?

Damon,

	I think that I must not be explaining this clearly.  This information
is from SBC (Southwestern Bell).  They claim that if they bring us one
T1 and we want to split it 50/50 voice/data (TDM voice and IP data) (not
necessarily 50/50 but any combination of voice + data channels), there
could be voice quality issues on the TDM voice side when the data
portion was pushed (downloading a big file - their words!).  It made no
sense to me whatsoever, and I think that they are trying to sell us two
T1's, or something...  I wanted to explain my impression of what TDM
was, and why I didn't think it was possible - but I am very new to T1's
and didn't have the tech facts to back it up.

	Again, to clarify, this has NOTHING to do with VoIP or any VoIP
provider.  We will want to run some IAX through the IP data portion of
the T1, but that is another story...

Thanks!

--
Kristian Kielhofner