[Asterisk-Users] OT: "Integrated Access T1" voice problems -is this possible?

Damon Estep damon at suburbanbroadband.net
Fri Dec 17 17:23:16 MST 2004

> Mark Farver wrote:
>
> > On Fri, 2004-12-17 at 16:26 -0600, Kristian Kielhofner wrote:
> >
> >>	We are getting pricing and one provider is telling us
> that they have
> >>quality issues with the "Integrated Access" product.  From
> what they
> >>say it sounds like you can have audio dropouts on the voice
> channels
> >>when the data channels are being pushed to the max.  I have never
> >>heard of this.  It doesn't seem possible to me, and if at all,
> >>probably more of a limitation in the CSU/DSU than in the actual T.
> >>Isn't that what TDM is all about - giving each channel it's
> afforded bandwidth?
> >>

> > The other method is to provision some of the 24 T1 channels
> as data,
> > some as voice.  This is not very dynamic and typically you can only
> > have one voice call per T1 channel.  So if your maximum number of
> > active calls is 12, only half the T1 can be used for data... idle
> > voice channels are wasted.
>
> Mark,
>
> 	This is what we are doing - that is the only way they
> will do it for us.  We are going to be 11 voice and the rest
> data - statically.  With this scenario is it likely (or
> possible) that data traffic could impede on the voice
> channels, thus causing audio problems on them?

Static allocation of channels is more typical when the integrated access
delivers TDM voice and IP data, not VoIP and IP data, and if you have a
VoIP provider that is channelizing the T1 for dedicated Data/Voice
channels it would surprise me, the real reason must be that they use
garbage gear that can not properly prioritize voice or they need some IP
networking training. Properly configured and loaded, a good router will
never drop voice because of the data load, it will frequenlty drop data
packets to keep the queues to a manageable size and keep the voice
quality high. Who is the provider feeding you this info?