[Asterisk-Users] Re: asterisk - basic hardware and packages

Noah Miller noah at rosecompanies.com
Sat Dec 18 00:49:39 MST 2004

Hi Varun -

>       What are the basic packages required to have
> a basic asterisk PBX up and running with all functionality.
>
> I am using fedora 3.
>
> I have downloaded asterisk-1.0.3.
>
> Do I need any other package ?

You'll also need zaptel and libpri.  You can download these from the
Asterisk site (http://www.asterisk.org), or as most people do - get the
fresh versions from the CVS server.

>       I am using fedora 3.
>
> We have a 2 telephone lines in our office.
>
> I want to setup a asterisk PBX to support say
>
> 8 to 10 phones lines.

For the phones, that depends a lot on what kind of phones you want to
use, and how many you're going to have:

old analog phones - use something like a TDM400P with fxs ports, or a
T100P with a channel bank
ADSI analog phones - also use something like the TDM400P with fxs
ports, or a T100P with a channel bank
IP phones (SIP, h323, MGCP, SCCP) - use your network card and TCP/IP
network

For the lines, you could use:

Standard analog lines - something like a TDM400P with fxo ports, or a
channel bank with fxo cards and a T100P
VoIP lines - your network card
ISDN BRI or PRI - a TE4XXP or a T/E100P

If they haven't already, most of the people here will tell you to go
take a good look at http://www.voip-info.org/.  It has a LOT of
information on asterisk and VoIP hardware.  There is a lot to learn.
Try setting up asterisk using the install guide there.  When you run
into problems that you can't find answers to on that site or on google,
just post some more messages to this list, and someone should answer
them.

I hope you have fun with Asterisk!