[Asterisk-Users] OT: DSL without voice

Greg Hill gregh-asterisk at hillnet.us
Fri Dec 17 14:12:11 MST 2004

On Fri, 17 Dec 2004, Michael Graves wrote:

> On Fri, 17 Dec 2004 09:42:28 -0600 (CST), Joe Greco wrote:
>
> >> www.Covad.com
> >>
> >> I have their TeleSoho dedicated loop DSL. It costs the same as the
> >> bundled loop.
> >
> >ADSL or SDSL?  (I haven't looked at Covad's pricey offerings for a while)
> >

> ADSL
>
> 3.0 Mb down / 768k up. $99/mo. The dedicated loop service requires a
> "professional" installation that costs $175 (I think)

incidentally, Speakeasy.net resells Covad's service. They're charging
about this price for the 6 MB/768k level with 8 IPs etc. I found some
attractive offers through an ad on slashdot, visit
www.speakeasy.net/promos/osdn for more info.

> I was having trouble with the bundled DSL dropping when my home POTS
> line rang. SBC and Covad were hopeless at diagnosing this, and the
> unbundled service was available so I simply switched. SBC droppped a
> clean, new pair to the house. Covad's tech did his install in less than
> 10 minutes.

it's kind of annoying that they call this a "professional install" when it
typically consists of little more than plugging in the DSL adapter and
making sure that it trains properly. And especially annoying to have to
pay $175 for the job!

> The also told me that I had to buy their DSL mode/wireless router
> combo. I did, but the cost was rebated. Then I put my trusty Siemens
> Speedstream/m0n0wall combination back in the line ;-)

nice work..! Sometimes you just have to work "around" the system.

Greg