[Asterisk-Users] OT: DSL without voice

Christopher L. Wade clwade at sparco.com
Fri Dec 17 10:02:43 MST 2004

Ed Robbins wrote:
> Perhaps I wasn't clear.  The process of dialing 911 via * is a given, what
> I'm concerned about is those situations in which you have a power failure
> and * isn't available.  My contingency is to have a phone that is directly
> connected to the PSTN and simply turn the ringer off so that it isn't
> bothersome during normal operation.  Given a power outage we could use
> that phone, but again it becomes an issue of training non-family members.
>

> Ed

Sorry about that, was following a half dozen threads.  Wasn't sure on
the exact details of what you were after.

As for power failure options, you have several.  The wiki lists quite a
few good ideas.  Depending on the type of phones you use, I think
power-fail-switches are the best option, as your phones immediately
become POTS connected phones.  For IP phones, POE with a central LARGE
UPS and/or generator would be good.  The generator would have other
benefits as well.

-Chris

--
Christopher L. Wade                     Unistar-Sparco Computers, Inc.
Senior Systems Administrator                            dba Sparco.com