[Asterisk-Users] Asterisk and HylaFax

Antony Stone Antony.Stone at Asterisk.Open.Source.IT
Fri Dec 17 09:40:53 MST 2004

On Friday 17 December 2004 16:22, Lee Howard wrote:

> On 2004.12.17 05:42 Sergio Serrano wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >     again I try configure Hylafax with asterisk. I would like
> > configure
> > Asterisk in the next way:
> >         1)An incoming fax go into through X100P
> >         2)Asterisk detects Fax and redirect fax to Hylafax
> >
> >     Is it possible?
>
> Yes, but it may not be as pretty as you like, and it may not function
> as well as you hope.
>
> Using faxdetect in your zapata.conf file will get practically all of
> the faxes coming in to the X100P routed to the "fax" extension.  The
> trick, then, is how to get HylaFAX at that fax extension.

Does there exist any sort of "bypass box" which could be used in the following
arrangement:

POTS -> X100P -> Asterisk -> TDM400P(FXS) -> Fax machine

Hypothetical bypass box also plugs into POTS line and Fax machine, able to
switch the X100P, Asterisk and the TDP400P out of the circuit, and just
connect POTS to Fax directly on some command from the Asterisk PC.

Then Asterisk uses faxdetect to send ringing to the fax machine, waits for
call to be answered, and sends (RS232?) command to bypass box, allowing fax
machine to take the original incoming call without all the analogue ->
digital -> analogue conversion going on.

If such a hypothetical bypass box could also detect remote hangup, and drop
itself back out of circuit once the call is complete, everything returns back
to normal ready for the next call to come in.

Electrically it seems like a very simple solution - a 2-pole 2-way relay with
RS232 control and line-voltage detection (for the automatic switchover on
hangup), however whether such a thing exists and has appropriate type
approvals I have no idea....

Regards,

Antony.

--
Atheism is a non-prophet-making organisation.

                                                     Please reply to the list;
                                                           please don't CC me.