[Asterisk-Users] Asterisk and HylaFax

Lee Howard faxguy at howardsilvan.com
Fri Dec 17 09:22:53 MST 2004

On 2004.12.17 05:42 Sergio Serrano wrote:
> Hi all,
>     again I try configure Hylafax with asterisk. I would like
> configure
> Asterisk in the next way:
>         1)An incoming fax go into through X100P
>         2)Asterisk detects Fax and redirect fax to Hylafax
>
>     Is it possible?

Yes, but it may not be as pretty as you like, and it may not function
as well as you hope.

Using faxdetect in your zapata.conf file will get practically all of
the faxes coming in to the X100P routed to the "fax" extension.  The
trick, then, is how to get HylaFAX at that fax extension.  There are a
number of different ways to do it, but in each case, in the end, the
idea is to get HylaFAX and Asterisk communicating at an Asterisk FXS
point.  So you could do a number of different arrangements:

   X100P -> Asterisk -> SPA-2000 (ATA) -> Modem -> HylaFAX

or

   X100P -> Asterisk -> TDM400P (FXS) -> Modem -> HylaFAX

but, at that point you probably would be better off without the X100P
like this:

   TDM400P (FXO) -> Asterisk -> TDM400P (FXS) -> Modem -> HylaFAX

I will warn you now, however, that the analog-to-digital and then
digital-to-analog conversions that are required in these arrangements
seem to cause some problems.  You may never notice the problems if you
use ECM on the receiving modem, but if you pay attention to the ECM
logging, you may notice that you'll get more data corruption (and thus
retransmissions of data) than you would if you just had the modem
plugged into the POTS line directly.  I don't know if that's an error
on the part of Asterisk, or on the part of all of the ATAs that I've
heard mentioned used in this situation.  In fact, I've even heard of
that same problem when using a TDM card instead of the ATA.  Maybe it's
just an inherent problem with the A->D & D->A conversions.  I don't
know.

In any case, currently the best way (the way without any data
corruption as I mention) to interface Asterisk and HylaFAX is to keep
everything digital...

   TE405P -> Asterisk -> TE405P -> T1 Modem (Patton 2977) -> HylaFAX

But this requires more expensive hardware and more expensive lines and
is probably beyond the scope of your project since you're talking about
faxdetect and X100Ps.

There are some "futuristic" arrangements that could be done conceivably
with some tools that are available, such as spandsp or t38modem, but
currently there is no way to interface t38modem with Asterisk and no
way to interface spandsp directly with HylaFAX.

Lee.