[Asterisk-Users] OT: DSL without voice

Joe Greco jgreco at ns.sol.net
Fri Dec 17 07:44:33 MST 2004

> Most RBOC's & ILEC's have in their tariffs that the DSL subscriber
> MUST have a working POTS line before they can be sold DSL.

So, let me get this straight, /they/ chose to put in /their/ tariffs that
the customer must have a working POTS line, then /they/ use that as a reason
to sell more POTS lines.

Why am I not crying for the ILEC's here?  I am not interested in their
desire to sell POTS lines through extortion.  Neither are many public
utilities commissions, who are generally dismantling such rules.

Incidentally, such tariffs do NOT impose such a requirement on SDSL or HDSL,
at least around here, and now in a lot of areas we're seeing deployment of
services like OneLink, where the customer just pays a little extra for the
cost of the dedicated copper.

ILEC's are generally full of ****, by the way.  Around here, they were
charging the CLEC's something like $10/month for rental of the copper to
provide service (POTS, whatever).  SBC whined and whined that this was
far below their cost and proposed a "minor" readjustment of only a little
more than double, up to something like $22.

Note that many direct SBC customers get their entire phone service for less
than $22, so I'm not sure how it is that leasing the wires at wholesale
rates should cost more than actually providing full service to retail
customers.  Hell, they used to provide dry copper for just a few bucks a
month, sold in fairly large quantities to alarm companies, etc...

http://www.jsonline.com/bym/news/mar04/214278.asp

I have very little sympathy for the ILEC's.  I would probably be fine with
seeing their physical plants taken away from them, sold to a highly
regulated company that was chartered only to provide wholesale wire
services, and then have everyone rent copper at fair prices - including
the ILEC.

... JG