[Asterisk-Users] Asterisk Cisco CallManager Integration

Paul Davidson planac at gmail.com
Fri Dec 17 06:33:26 MST 2004

> Message: 10
> Date: Thu, 16 Dec 2004 17:13:33 -0600
> From: Adi Linden <adil at adis.on.ca>
> Subject: [Asterisk-Users] Asterisk Cisco CallManager Integration
> To: asterisk-users at lists.digium.com
>
> Hi,
>
> Where can I find information on H.323 for Asterisk and/or integration with
> Cisco CallManager in particular?
> <http://www.voip-info.org/tiki-index.php?page=Asterisk+Cisco+CallManager+Integration>
>
> I have oh323 working on Asterisk. Since the CallManger I am working with
> is running 3.3.3 I cannot use SIP...
>
> Thanks,
> Adi

As a few of the others on this list knows, this is something I've been
fighting with for a few months now- and it's not such an easy thing.
So far, I've not had complete success- but I'm willing to give a quick
status report here, and I will post the solution back to the  wiki
once I do get there.

Right now, using gnugk, 1.0+ stable, and chan_h323, I've managed to
successfully dial from CCM 3.3 into Asterisk- I use this in production
every day today, and I expereince few if any problems with it.  1.02
fixed a few things that caused hanging h.323 channels, so I'd
recommend starting there if you need stable..  I am NOT able to call
from Asterisk back into CCM at all- CCM drops the call like a hot
rock, under either gateway OR gatekeeper configuration.

If you're more willing to be on the bleeding edge, the CVS-HEAD from
yesterday (not before) , is able to place a call from Asterisk to CCM.
 Thanks to Snewpy (and I presume JerJer) for taking it this far.  The
bad news is that, as of last night, it's still not working properly.
Configured in gatekeeper mode, I can ring the phone- but there are RTP
problems, resulting in one-way audio and early (2 second) call
termination.  Under Gateway configuration, the result is much the same
as under stable- Asterisk sends the SETUP message, and CCM tells it to
go away.  Right now, the best clue I have on this is that CCM only
thinks of Asterisk as an IOS H.323 gateway- and it would appear that
IOS gateways perform some sort of registration back to CCM when they
start up- Asterisk doesn't, and I think the cause is rooted here.  I'm
hoping to get a good packet dump off an IOS gateway today to see what
the differences are- but there's a lot of distance to go between
packet traces and solution.

I'm also unable to try the SIP trunk method, since I'm at CCM 3.3.3-
but it would appear that  it works, based on the wiki.

If you want to know how I configured it under stable, contact me
offlist and I'll be happy to help.

-pbd