[Asterisk-Users] Connecting Asterisk to GSM

Leandro Morgado leandro.morgado at bragaredes.homelinux.com
Thu Dec 16 14:22:08 MST 2004

Jean-Michel Hiver wrote:

> Hi List,
>
> I was wondering if there was any device I could use to connect * to
> GSM networks. I don't need much capacity, maybe 2-4 GSM channels. As
> usual, cheap is better :-)

I've used Nokia 32 with a TDM400 FXO. It works reasonably well but has
some anoying "features", like taking 5-10 seconds to establish a call,
hangup detection problems, cdr records always being answered, etc, etc.
It's doable but not perfect.

> Any tips on this?

I haven't tried ISDN GSM Terminals but do have fixed-land ISDN. ISDN is
so much more reliable (faster setup, proper cdr and billing seconds,
better voice quality) that I would consider a ISDN GSM terminal. Try
searching google for quasar smartcell.

A Voip-GSM terminal sounds even better. No need for FXO, ISDN, etc. And
you could manage it remotly. The Ateus Voice Blue looks good but I
haven't had a change to try it out. Google around.. you find nice stuff
like: http://www.thehightechstore.com/cellinterface.html

Let me know about your experiences.

Regards,

Leandro Morgado