[Asterisk-Users] Calculating required bandwidth

Damon Estep damon at suburbanbroadband.net
Thu Dec 16 12:03:59 MST 2004

"So if you use G.711 codec then you will be able run 24 SIP
conversations on a T1."

Not true, the RTP stream is 64k, there is also IP packet and VoIP
protocol overhead to deal with. If you try to dedicate less than 80k+
per g.711 stream you will have trouble and you also have IP data on the
T1 you are really looking for trouble. Priority queuing will help, but
only if you have enough bandwidth to transfer all of your RTP and data
packets.