[Asterisk-Users] wcfxs causing constant CPU spikes

Andrew Kohlsmith akohlsmith-asterisk at benshaw.com
Thu Dec 16 05:24:04 MST 2004

On December 15, 2004 10:54 pm, Eric Bishop wrote:
> I'm not sure if it is the CPU spikes or not but there definately is a
> high level of flakiness with the card. ie very low gain levels and
> often for no reason will refuse to accept calls until the driver is
> reloaded. Honestly at this time I am recommedning all my customers
> with Analog lines to stick with their traditional PBX and just attach
> an FXS VoIP gateway to it.

This is unfortunately what I do, too -- T1+channel bank in lieu of a TDM400P
-- I know for *certain* that Digium's working on it, but they are being awful
quiet about it.

As far as CPU spikes being the culprit of this, I think it's normal operation
-- I have a Digiumless box (A101u+S518) that has similar CPU spikes but
zttool is showing that the timing is spot-on, and audio is perfect.  I am
going to assume that the CPU spikes are likely in the zaptel driver (which
the A101u hooks in to for Asterisk support) and not in the wctdm driver.

From what I understand the crackly audio on FXS and problematic pickup/hangup
on FXO is due more to static and/or noise issues, not driver issues, but I
very well could be mistaken.

-A.