[Asterisk-Users] kewlstart - explanation of this method, please ?

Samudra E. Haque haque at pradeshta.net
Thu Dec 16 02:47:25 MST 2004

Hello, is there a full guide to what kewlstart is supposed to do with FXO or
FXS lines ? is it only applicable to one of the interfaces FXO -or- FXS but
not both ? I asked earlier if FXS lines can be made to reverse polarity, and
someone else pointed out that the chipset on the FXS ports seems to support
it, perhaps the driver in the asterisk zaptel interface module needs to be
modified to support it..

but the discussion that I found below in
http://massis.lcs.mit.edu/archives/back.issues/recent.single.issues/V23_%23392,
seems to suggest kewlstart already having such a feature. Where can we learn
more about what kewlstart does and what / how it does it ?

-samudra

In article <telecom23.391.13 at telecom-digest.org>, merlyn at visi.com
says:

> bonomi at host122.r-bonomi.com (Robert Bonomi) writes:

>> In article <telecom23.388.5 at telecom-digest.org>, Kyler Laird
>> <Kyler at news.Lairds.org> wrote:

>>> I'm trying to set up a home PBX and I decided to just take a crack at
>>> getting kewlstart/calling party control/disconnect supervision on my
>>> home line.  I called Verizon and got bounced around until I hit
>>> someone "with 31 years of experience" who had never heard of such a
>>> thing.  I was told that Verizon certainly doesn't offer it.

>>> I suspect that someone in Verizon knows how to provision the switch
>>> and can twiddle a few bits to give it to me.  Is that reasonable?  How
>>> do I find that person?

>> No it is _not_ reasonable.   Not for a _residential_ POTS phone line.

>> If you want to pay for a 'commercial rates' _trunk_ line, Then you can
>> start talking about things like "wink start" vs "ground start" vs
>> "loop start", "E&M" vs "T&R", "MF" vs "DTMF" signalling, etc., etc.,
>> ad nauseum.

> FWIW: kewlstart isn't a telco line type like a loopstart or
> groundstart trunk line. Its a special mode of the Asterisk soft PBX
> system that takes a normal loopstart line (ie. a POTS line) and
> watches for a certain event on it to handle line drops (ie. remote
> disconnect detection) better than normal loopstart signalling.

> (ie. a posting on the Asterisk users archives from the main author
>      kewlstart is what we call loopstart with battery drop. this is also
>      known as "far end disconnect supervision" to some people. Basically
>      when the switch hangs up on you, it drops battery for a fraction of a
>      second to signal that you've been hung up on.

> As such, you won't find any telco offering it, because its a special
> mode that Asterisk has for its FXO cards on a plain old loopstart
> telephone line. Its not surprising at all that nobody at any telco has
> heard of it, and the OP is barking up the wrong tree for nothing.

---